February 26, 2009

La Sagrada Familia

This past weekend I got a chance to tell the story of the hunt to find this exquisite cathedral in Barcelona, La Sagrada Familia. This and other architectual wonders by Antoni Gaudí were some of my biggest motivators to visit the old Capital. This picture, or any other picture, does not do it justice. Trust me, friends. I literally felt like a dinosaur was hovering over me when I stepped out of the metro, map in hand, looking for this beauty. All I had to do was turn around and - BAM! There it was!

What made my experience a little more awesome was watching the lucky team of architects and engineers working on the final phase of the cathedral to complete Gaudís vision of La Sagrada. I won't forget a white-bearded man, cigarrette pressed between his lips, working over some blueprints on a table and shaping some sort of stone-piece.


1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of the book "Pillars of the Earth." Magnificent!!

    ReplyDelete